Monday, July 18, 2011

It's only a matter of time...

With three boys, we know it's probably only a matter of time before we endure some injuries. I DREAD this. I really do. I am one of those mom's who imagine and predict injuries in every location. If you're ever at a playdate with me, it's safe to assume that I'm only half listening to you while I'm really stealing glances at the kids to make sure noone is falling off the monkey bars. It's part my make-up (thanks mom!) and it's part the fact that we have one child who has breath-holding spells and happens to be accident-prone, so I'm always trying to proactively prevent collisions or falls to avoid an unconscious child. It's also part that Jonathan and I both have very real physical reactions to blood, open wounds, and emergency situations. Humanly, I fear these accidents not knowing what the outcome will be. Sinfully, there are times when I simply don't trust that God is already ahead and will give grace when needed. At any rate, it's one of those growth areas in my heart and today it grew... a lot.   

We were at a play area this morning with the boys and Chris. It's a deck platform and is roped off. Henry simply leaned over the rope to touch the grass off the platform, but he flipped over and his head landed right on the edge of the deck. He instantly popped up and yelled my name. Jonathan practically threw Myles into my arms, and ran over and immediately said we need to get to a hospital. I threw Myles to Chris and tended to Wyatt who simply started screaming like a girl (looking back, it was hilarious), then took off my top layer shirt (thankfully I had on two!) and we wrapped it around Henry's head. He was crying, crying, crying, and we walked about two blocks back to our house. Looking back it's funny b/c I threw Wyatt in the stroller to calm him down and Chris carried Myles, but I kept looking back at Jonathan carrying Henry which resulted in me running the stroller off the sidewalk and into a tree twice. I remember thinking, "Michelle, focus, we don't need another injury." I have learned about myself that I generally don't panic in a physical way (like screaming or crying) in emergencies, but I DO NOT think clearly. And I'm not a quick decision-maker. I need someone to give me instructions, but of course, I'm the parent, so often times I'm the one needing to make decisions! Thankfully Jonathan and Chris were both on their A-game so I just needed to be the supportive player.


Chris looked up the nearest hospital which thankfully was only a few miles down the road. We left Wyatt with him, and took Myles and Henry with us. Chris gave me his phone to take b/c he had directions pulled up, which in the end I was really thankful for b/c I realized my phone was almost dead when we arrived at the hospital. Devon and Beth eventually came back from where they were and picked up Myles for us. Before they arrived, I was sitting in a wheelchair holding Henry and feeling so nautious that I thought I was going to throw up. Henry had no pain reliever but seemed to be holding it together fairly well. We had given him a sip of juice and a few crackers in the car. I just kept looking at every corner of the room and locating the trash can b/c I was sure I was going to need one. Jonathan went to buy some Sprite when he noticed my white and sweaty face. He said, "It's going to be OK." Then he smiled. "Are you OK? I'll get you something to drink. Don't worry, I already went through the physical reaction in the car... you're just about 5 minutes behind me. Whatever you do, don't look at his head. It's really bad." Henry ended up with a 2.5 inch gash and I will spare you the nausea by not posting the pre-stitch picture. I wish they would have put more stitches in it, but there wasn't much we could do at that point but trust that the Lord knows what is best. They were very kind and sweet with Henry, and we were very thankful for that.

We stopped at the store to pick up bandages and first aid ointment - he thought the camo stuff was pretty cool. We went to dinner this evening and he seemed to be OK. He just connected the dots this evening that he is not going to get to boogie board or swim underwater this week. I feel so bad for him.. but we'll just have to come up with some other fun stuff to do. The wonderful thing is that throughout the whole day, we were able to pray with him, remind him that he was not alone, and remind him that God was watching over his every move. I really believe that brought comfort to him - and I'm thankful that it brought comfort to us. Knowing that every detail of our life is in God's watchcare gives us an amazing confidence that nothing happens on accident.
We are thankful for family that was here to help... so thankful that the Lord gave us Chris in that moment to help us and be a calm person to care for Wyatt. So thankful the Berry's were here to get Myles and I know Henry loved seeing them all when he returned.
So... onto more vacation fun!! Hoping we're injury free this week!! :)

3 comments:

Pamela said...

I kept thinking about Henry last night. I'm so glad he's OK. You're reaction (running into the tree) did make me laugh though : ) Love you!

The Beckster's Blog said...

Oh Michelle, the things that God allows to grow us!! I have a feeling with three boys this won't be the last of the injuries!!! Like Pam, I too, got a laugh out of you and the running into the trees, along with the near passing out or puking episode!! Love you guys, and sorry Henry got hurt....but it sure makes for good stories for you to share! Poor buddy. On a brighter note, we LOVED Pompano Joe's!! Ate there last year with the Berrys and the Zemmers. Hope the rest of your week is restful for you, and hope that Henry does well with his injury!!

Becky

mikeanddebbie said...

I am the same way!!! I DO NOT think clearly in emergency situations at all!! Remember my post years ago on when I thought Joshua was lost? I was not in my right mind!! So glad Henry is ok!!