Every year, the National Down Syndrome Association hosts "Buddy Walks" all over the country which are fundraisers for each association. The Dayton walk was held on Saturday, September 24th. We did not attend last year since it was so soon after Myles' birth, and we were still trying to get our heads on straight. But we did go this year! It was really, really neat. We didn't know what to expect. It was held at a local park and there were so many people there!! I was actually surprised. I'd say maybe 500-700 people... but I'm bad at estimating (Could have been 300, could have been a thousand!). Each "buddy" (kid with ds) forms a "team" to walk... we were so blessed to have friends and family join us.
This was one of those mile-marker experiences for us. We weren't expecting it to be... but when we arrived and walked toward the registration tent... and just realized, wow, we're here b/c of our baby who has Down syndrome... it was a little strange and I felt overwhelmed with emotion. And as I saw people come out of the crowd who came to join us, friends and family who were there for Myles... familiar faces that we know and love, we felt even more overwhelmed.

For some reason that day, I was determined not be emotional... so I did my best to just tuck it away. I'm not sure why... maybe b/c I hadn't showered that morning and figured crying would just dampen my already 'greasy' appearance!! :) But nonetheless, we both shed tears later and I think our take-home message that day was WE ARE BLESSED. We have an AMAZING church family who LOVE us and our children. And we have amazing blood family that care deeply for us. And if something were to happen to either of us, we KNOW that our children are surrounded with people who love Jesus and would raise our little ones in His truth. That is so important to us. We continue to look forward to meeting other families who have children with ds and know as Myles grows, that will become more and more of a reality. We look forward to encouraging those around us as well... that Jesus is creator of all our little ones and no mistakes are made. All in all, it was a good, good day.
This was one of those mile-marker experiences for us. We weren't expecting it to be... but when we arrived and walked toward the registration tent... and just realized, wow, we're here b/c of our baby who has Down syndrome... it was a little strange and I felt overwhelmed with emotion. And as I saw people come out of the crowd who came to join us, friends and family who were there for Myles... familiar faces that we know and love, we felt even more overwhelmed.
For some reason that day, I was determined not be emotional... so I did my best to just tuck it away. I'm not sure why... maybe b/c I hadn't showered that morning and figured crying would just dampen my already 'greasy' appearance!! :) But nonetheless, we both shed tears later and I think our take-home message that day was WE ARE BLESSED. We have an AMAZING church family who LOVE us and our children. And we have amazing blood family that care deeply for us. And if something were to happen to either of us, we KNOW that our children are surrounded with people who love Jesus and would raise our little ones in His truth. That is so important to us. We continue to look forward to meeting other families who have children with ds and know as Myles grows, that will become more and more of a reality. We look forward to encouraging those around us as well... that Jesus is creator of all our little ones and no mistakes are made. All in all, it was a good, good day.
3 comments:
Ok, so when are you coming to AZ again for a visit? I am dying to just sit down and chat with you! :) Myles is so adorable and I absolutely love his red hair! It sounds like you had a very special day! How blessed you are to be surrounded by those who love you and your family!!!
We were so happy to join you. We love you all :)
Michelle, it was definitely OUR privilege and joy to share this with you and with our baby Myles!! You Coopers hold very special places in our hearts, and we are looking forward to being along beside you as you raise Myles (Henry and Wyatt, too). Love you guys much.
Becky
Post a Comment