Kindergarten is in its third week. And going great! Besides the fact that he missed his first day b/c he had a fever. I guess he won't have lifelong perfect attendance :) Henry LOVES his teacher. He still loves going every day, and he loves riding the bus. He keeps telling me that on his way home he closes his eyes and sleeps. I believe it. He is my sleeper. I've always loved that about him. Every morning while we eat breakfast, we read the Proverbs, and they are so applicable to all he is doing at school. I usually choose one or two to read from the Proverb of the day, and then when he comes home at lunch, we talk about how he was able to apply his Proverb. Some times it's how he DIDN'T apply his Proverb, but that is just as useful of a conversation.
| *Our toy aisle excursion while at Target* |
I will not lie and tell you that it has been an easy transition. I cried a lot. It was so unexpected. They were mostly tears of the realization that this is CHANGE. Whether we homeschooled or put him in school, the days are slowly changing to structure and things that need to be done, etc. Not just wake up, play, eat, nap, and play again. There are days still like that, but time has flown so fast, and it's hard to believe how it does that. Also tears of losing control. It is a choice to put him in school, and it is a choice to give up some of the control I have of his time and influence. It has caused me to question whether or not I truly believe God is sovereign over Henry's life whether or not I am the one dictating his days. Big breath... it is HARD. But, all in all, I have learned a lot about myself the past few weeks. And what I cling to in good ways and bad ways. Thankfully, Jonathan is a patient and loving and kind listener. He always has good input, always presents the truth (even when it is difficult to hear), and always listens to me (even if it's the 6th time that week I have brought it up!), and is always encouraging.
| *Fun at the grocery* |
| *First day on bus* |
So far, Henry has proved to be responsible, and when he left his backpack on the bus the first day, he was so, so upset. I was tempted to discipline him for how he reacted b/c it was so outrageous, but I called Jonathan and he advised me not to. So I had him chill out for a bit, and when I talked to him, he honestly said, "Mom, I'm just so frustrated I forgot it. Dad told me to NOT take my backpack off me while I was on the bus. He said to keep it on my back or to put it in my lap, and I didn't do that. I put it on the seat. I will never do that again. I'm so mad at myself." (I was SO THANKFUL for Jonathan's advice to not discipline.) We had a great conversation after that about how to handle our frustrations, etc. And, of course, discussed with him that if he did that again, he would need to have a consequence. All in all, it is a really funny memory of his first day of school!
Wyatt is in a 1-day program called Tuesday school. Henry did it as well. It is so cute and fun and so far, he is really enjoying it. His teacher said he is doing great and that "he is such a fun little boy." True. Wyatt has that spunk to him that is irresistible.
| *Wy's first day at preschool* |
3 comments:
Oh my goodness, that pic of Wyatt and Myles in the grocery cart is so adorable!!
Transitions can be difficult--especially with kids! Trying to be a Godly example and leader in your relationship with your kids--I can imagine how much responsibility that can put on you! Thank goodness you and Jonathan are such a great team!
Allison :)
Great idea to discuss how Henry has applied the proverb of the day. love all of those sweet photos : )
Myles had a birthday???? WHAT? No! He's one already? Where is the time going?? Loved your post and always wish we lived closer! We have so much we could talk about!!! :) Miss you!!
Post a Comment