Friday, October 08, 2010

What have you been doing with your free time?

I think I have at least $100 wrapped up in bins for clothing. I have to admit that one of my least favorite 'mom' jobs is doing the great clothing swap each season. For many reasons... it takes a lot of time. I end up doing a ton of laundry b/c I don't want the clothes to have the 'bin' smell. I have to go through all - now 3! - sets of drawers in order to figure out what fits, what doesn't, what is too summery, what is winterish, what should be thrown out, passed on, passed down, or just put in the trash. And did I mention it takes a lot of time?

However, I am reminded of how much we have been given. Henry has about 60 t-shirts and it's not b/c we're t-shirt junkies! It's b/c people have extended so much generosity toward us. I seldom have to buy much for the boys. I just have to fill in the gaps. I am also reminded of how fast they are growing. You don't see it happening and then one day you put on that long sleeve shirt they wore last spring... and 5 months later the sleeves are too short, it's become a belly shirt... and you think to yourself, wow, he has really grown! I am thankful for this.

I am not finished yet. I've been so backed up doing 'bin' laundry that my everyday laundry is now backed up. Shoot. I need a catch-up day. And I've got bins everywhere. Oh well... no one knows but me... and you :)


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Pamela said...

I'm not fond of the clothing swap either for the same reasons as you. However, I don't wash the clothes before the girls wear them. I actually think the smell goes away once the clothes are out of the bin for a while. Plus, I'd rather deal with the smell over more laundry!!

AMY said...

Yeah, not my favorite thing either. The only highlight is that the kids actually think they are getting new clothes and get really excited to see the new piles!! I'm wondering how long until they realize. . .

mikeanddebbie said...

I am so not a fan of bins full of clothes! I have boy clothes coming out of my ears! We've been given a lot too. Now it's my turn to start giving clothes away. :( I have SO many bins filled with girl clothes too-been saving them for a little niece but my brothers aren't cooperating!

Andrea said...

This sounds like a Pam post. Ask Pam about the clothing sale that Andrea does.