Saturday, October 09, 2010

Pumpkin Hunting

 Every January, Jonathan and I sit down and review the previous year. We review each child (what kids are struggling with, what they are improving on, etc.), we review our marriage, and we review the family as a whole. We have a leather bound journal that is our family journal. Throughout the year, we jot things down in it, but we also use it to write our plans/goals down for the upcoming year. It has been rich, so far, to look back at our hopes for each year and see where we have implemented, readjusted, changed, or simply 'let go' of our some of our plans. We have also seen places where we've not done so well and so we are able to talk through why. We then plan for the new year. For example, two years ago, Jonathan had a goal of making muffins every Sunday morning for breakfast. It has been so delightful to see that play out. Such a small thing, but it has really become something central for our family. The boys LOVE Sunday mornings b/c they know Daddy is making muffins. As the boys have gotten older, we have also starting doing 'family nights.' This past year, we decided to make more efforts with seasonal traditions. Jonathan and I both have vibrant childhood memories that surrounded holidays... 'religious' or 'non-religious.' What I've come to realize as we get older is that seasons or holidays feel special and exciting to us as kids b/c of the work our parents put into making them special... not so much b/c they feel special in and of themselves. We know what Christmas is and what it symbolizes, but our kids won't know or be excited for the right reasons unless we plan and think through what we are trying to communicate to them. So... with all that said, we have been asking ourselves what types of traditions we'd like to start. And not so much just for the tradition, but more for the quality time we can spend together as a family.... which is so important to us. Because if we have quality time together and a good quantity of time together, there are more opportunities for conversations to arise. And when conversations arise, there are always ways to point them to Jesus. For example, when we are carving pumpkins and then we light them on the inside, we can use this great visual and illustration to talk about how Jesus' light can shine through us. (Ephesians!) And when He lights up our heart inside, it will naturally glow on the outside. Then we always have that as a visual in their head that we can come back to. A memory we've created together...

A long version to say that it has really worked well for our family to plan together. We love spontaneity too, but a lot of times the reality is, we have to plan ahead to see things happen... which takes work!

Wow, a long explanation to say, we went to hunt for pumpkins last wknd. We chose the coldest, rainiest day in October which actually worked out well b/c NO ONE else was getting pumpkins at Windmill Farms. I bet today it is packed there b/c it's so beautiful out. We then headed home for lentil soup in the crock pot with homemade bread. Then, we set our minds to carving. The boys loved it! They are at such a great age right now. We spent about 2 hours doing this and by then it was dark. We lit them up... Beautiful! (pics to follow later)

Btw, I want you all to know, our kids will never win the best dressed award! :) We sent Henry up to get dressed on pumpkin day, and I'll admit, I gave him no instruction. So when he came down, I didn't feel that I could really complain about what he chose. But we were both cracking up at his arrangement!




Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Pamela said...

I'm so glad you and Jonathon have put so much thought into making sweet memories and traditions. You're right - often times it really does take effort and intention. I'm thankful for all of the fun things my parents did for me and now it's such a joy to do celebrate with our girls. We also enjoy picking out pumpkins in the fall - actually I enjoy so many things about the fall! Anyway, the photo of you and Myles is so sweet and, really, I see nothing wrong with Henry's outfit :)

mikeanddebbie said...

Great post, Michelle! And great pictures!!!

A urora said...

love you guys. miss you!