I spend a lot of time documenting the "good" things. Here is a post dedicated to the days when I feel very frustrated. I took the boys over to see my friend's new house that had just been built. I gave Henry VERY specific instructions about how he was to behave in the house. He didn't obey. After we were done, went outside to get in our cars and she and I stood and talked for a few minutes. This is what happened to Henry in about 2 minutes... He walks through the muddy lot across the street. I was so frustrated... I just wanted to 'ring his neck' as my mother used to say. When I put him in the car, he just kept saying, "Mommy, please have mercy on Henry... please show Henry mercy..." :) All in all, I was disappointed b/c it was one of those days you really 'expected' more out of your almost 4-year old. When we got home, he did receive discipline for the disobedience in the house... but not for the mud. I did remind myself that he is a 4-year old boy -- and I didn't tell him he couldn't go in the "dirt" with his new $18 tennis shoes... And I did realize that this was a perfect opportunity for me to talk with him about the Proverbs which we spend time in each morning. To help him realize that with his shoes, he could have used better judgment... he could have exercised wisdom that God can give him... he could be a wise 4-year old :) :) The last picture is just what Henry wants to wear everyday now that he needs his 'fall boots.'
Tuesday, October 06, 2009
Imperfections
I spend a lot of time documenting the "good" things. Here is a post dedicated to the days when I feel very frustrated. I took the boys over to see my friend's new house that had just been built. I gave Henry VERY specific instructions about how he was to behave in the house. He didn't obey. After we were done, went outside to get in our cars and she and I stood and talked for a few minutes. This is what happened to Henry in about 2 minutes... He walks through the muddy lot across the street. I was so frustrated... I just wanted to 'ring his neck' as my mother used to say. When I put him in the car, he just kept saying, "Mommy, please have mercy on Henry... please show Henry mercy..." :) All in all, I was disappointed b/c it was one of those days you really 'expected' more out of your almost 4-year old. When we got home, he did receive discipline for the disobedience in the house... but not for the mud. I did remind myself that he is a 4-year old boy -- and I didn't tell him he couldn't go in the "dirt" with his new $18 tennis shoes... And I did realize that this was a perfect opportunity for me to talk with him about the Proverbs which we spend time in each morning. To help him realize that with his shoes, he could have used better judgment... he could have exercised wisdom that God can give him... he could be a wise 4-year old :) :) The last picture is just what Henry wants to wear everyday now that he needs his 'fall boots.'
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sounds like one of those days! I love that Henry wanted you to "have mercy" on him. Cute. ;)
I'm glad you posted this ... yet another time to talk about God's goodness to Henry and remind ourselves of the gospel. Don't let me forget to tell you about Anna said about this situation!
Post a Comment