Thursday, May 03, 2012

Pirates of the Philharmonic

 The Dayton Philharmonic has a 'family series' they put on at the Schuster Center in downtown Dayton. I think they do a performance a month that is tailored for families. It's been on our radar for about 2 years, but we have been waiting for the kids to get at ages where they could sit and enjoy a performance. We finally feel like they are there - 6 and 4. We have some good friends at church who have season passes and they let us use their tickets for this performance so we could see how we liked it. We were so thankful for their generosity... it gave us a chance to try it out before we spent a lot of money.


It was GREAT! An hour before the performance, kids can come early for activities that relate to that day's performance. Thus, the pirate gear :) They were able to get their faces painted, make pirate hats, and they had an 'instrument petting zoo' where kids could actually try instruments. That was so cool b/c our kids have not been up close and personal with any instrument other than a guitar and piano. Wyatt has been adamant ever since that he wants to play the violin... the lady actually told us he was a natural. (Of course, she probably tells everyone that!) :)


 Overall, it was a REALLY wonderful time with the boys. We plan to add this to our semi-annual list of family days out. They already have the next performance picked out that they'd like to attend!




*A little special drink afterwards*


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Pamela said...

I didn't know that you liked classical music! I grew up going to the Cincy Symphony several times a year. I started going at a young age as well and it helped instill my love for classical music. It may do the same for your kiddos. I didn't even know that they had children's programs! I'll have to look into that for the girls. Thanks for the tip :)

mikeanddebbie said...

That looks and sounds like so much fun! Loved the pics!