Friday, May 06, 2011

the race





Posted by PicasaRace day came last Sunday, May 2. We ran the half marathon - 13.1 miles. Not a bad run considering the scant training. And we finished. We finished even with Jonathan's sprained ankle. Sprained ankle? you say... Yes, sprained ankle. We rode to Cinci with the Berry's for the race. The race starts at 6:30am - so we have to be up at 4am and hit the road by 4:30am in order to get parked and make it to our corral by race time. (Yes, they corral you like horses... in groups estimated by your stated finish time on your registration. I think we were in corral B or C.) We find parking in a parking garage, we all get geared up... stuff our pockets with jelly beans, shed the extra layers we don't need, make sure our timing chips are on our laces, etc. Ask ourselves... do we need to pee, or not pee? Did you have a bowel movement before you left the house? Shoot, me neither... I hope I don't have to go on the run. (Yes, this is exactly what we are all discussing on the way there. If you've never been to a race, I just want you to get the feel! Trust me, you DO NOT want to have to use the porta potty's on the race... it is so very nasty.) I'm never sure exactly what to eat or not eat b/c I don't typically run in the mornings. I chose a bagel and banana and forewent (is that a word?) the coffee b/c that can get my GI system moving too quickly :)

Ok, so we leave the parking garage and it's still dark. Jonathan is hopping all over the place to get warmed up and comes down right on a lip in the sidewalk. Seriously... maybe a 1/8" lip. It was nothing. However, you will see HERE and HERE that it doesn't take much to take this guy down. Too many high school basketball injuries I suppose. He totally wiped out and then sprung up and grabbed Devon by the neck... it was so, so funny and if you ever see Beth and I together, we can completely reenact the entire episode. He would not let go of Devon - so they hobbled back to the car to get a pain killer (which of course is another necessity at every race) b/c Jonathan was determined to still run. Meanwhile, Beth and I wait at the curb and some guy walks past us (who was a runner... everyone you see at that time in the morning in Cinci is either running the race or spectating or doing something illegal... this guy happened to be a runner) and says, "Did that guy just get hurt? The race hasn't even started yet!" We didn't claim him.

*Had to stick this in here...I think I need to start a new label. We were impressed he took the covers for this one!*















He did run, he didn't die, but his ankle was pretty sore, bruised, and swollen when we got home. We finished the race -- had a big pancake breakfast with Devon and Beth on the way home, and then went home feeling REALLY tired. But, it was so great to finish! Bummer we have no pictures with the Berry's -- someday we'll get spectators to come see us so we can have some pictures and someone to cheer us on at the finish line! :)

8 comments:

Matt and Abby said...

great job! i hope you enjoyed the race, even running injured. love the descriptions of the conversation, i can totally relate:)

Pamela said...

I knew you could do it! Poor Jonathon - but glad you documented it all : ) The photo of the boys is cracking me.

Pamela said...

up

AMY said...

ok, maybe a little more info than I needed to understand the race! :)
Next time I see you and Beth, I want to see the whole thing!!!!
Oh and great job on finishing!!!

Anonymous said...

If you want spectators your going to have to run races that do not require getting up at 4:30am. Wow! For me, that's worse than the ankle.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you all for doing that!! You always make me laugh and smile at your "doings" and I love the picture of Henry. Oh boy is his wife going to have some fun times ahead!!! :)

Love you,
Becky

Allison Walton said...

Way to go!! My family would've cheered for you, but you finished a half-hour faster then them. :)

Congratulations!!

A urora said...

Yeah, I'd probably hold off on those bunks, too. lol

And great job on your race... wow, momma of 3, way to go. sign me up to see the reenactment!