
The other day I was telling Henry for the 3rd time to get his shoes on for school. As he walked out to the entry way to finally obey, he took time to stop at the white board and draw this picture. I was changing Myles' diaper and was about to turn around and say it for the fourth time, but I saw what he was doing. So, of course, I asked... WHAT ARE YOU DOING? "This is what you look like right now and I don't like it when your face looks like this." Really? I said, "And why do you think my face looks like that?" He said, "You're not smiling. I don't like it when you don't smile." I said, "Henry, I love you. When you don't obey the first time, my face will get serious and you will hear my voice change. If you don't want to see that happen, then you should obey the first time." *sigh* I guess no mother wants to see their kid draw a picture of them looking like this... at the same time, this is real life and we are certainly not always smiling when we discipline. There is a place for a firm but gentle instruction. I find in parenting you go through seasons/phases, ups/downs, cycles, call it what you will. Even though Henry is past 5, in the past month we have been paying a visit back to obeying the first time, cheerfully, without excuses, without questioning, etc. I was impressed by his drawing abilities... even the eyebrows... hmm, do I need to wax? I hope they don't go that far around my eyes!! :)

2 comments:
So Precious!! I just love little kids. They teach us so much about ourselves, don't they? You may have an artist in the making. :)
God uses parenting to parent us :) You know, that picture does look pretty feminine ; )
Post a Comment