Everyone should have at least one experience with mice. We've had more than that. However, I don't recommend more, I think once is plenty.
We had our Christmas tree up, and since we had very few ornaments that first Christmas, I had made some gingerbread cookies to hang. We had some hanging too low to the ground apparently. We woke up the next morning to find the whole leg of a gingerbread man nibbled off. We couldn't believe it and we could not stop laughing! The war was on. Jonathan went to buy traps, set it up right under the tree, and then perfectly dangled a gingerbread man right over the trap. We went to bed that night all nervous and giggly (you could tell we were newlyweds... anything would excite us!) and wondering if we'd catch anything. We were not in bed more than 4 minutes when SNAP!... and then SWISH, SWISH, SWISH the tail swinging as it went down to it's death. I laid so still I couldn't move. When it stopped moving, Jonathan said, let's go check it out. I said NO... you go check it out!! End of story!
So, onto present day. Christmas morning Jonathan is making breakfast. He opens the pantry and finds these mini buckeyes that were a gift to Henry from my sister (Sorry Meg...) with a hole in the bag. Some had fallen out. He called Henry over and said, "Henry, did you get into these buckeyes? Wyatt, did you?" Once we assessed they were being completely honest, I felt this familiar feeling of dread come over me. Of course, Jonathan was like a school boy... "I'll get some traps, I'll set them, should we use cheese or PB? We're gonna kill this sucker! C'mon over boys... let me show you what it looks like when you have a mouse in the house." I don't know what happened to my carefree-ness, maybe 10 years of marriage and 3 kids later I lost my ability to be carefree about a mouse. Maybe it was the mouse terds in my pantry and in my skillets. Maybe it was the fact that the darn thing chewed on my Panko breadcrumb bag. Maybe it was that it was Christmas, did it always have to strike on a holiday?
The pictures tell the rest. As you can see, one of us was enjoying the show. Jonathan even decided to make our pictures festive. Thankfully, we have had no 'visitors' since this little guy. Merry Christmas buddy. (By the way, Dad, we really need to finish the trim in that pantry!!)

5 comments:
EWWWW!! You are so brave! And so funny! You always make me laugh!!!
Wow! But I think I could of gotten the point without the picture of the rodent. (BTW Amy WX has a post titled VIsitors on her blog right now too!! . . . however it is about people not a mouse. . . you should try that kind of visitor too!!)
yes, everyone should have a good mouse story. Mine was from when I lived in China. I named the mouse, "Mickey." I could hear it run across my floor when I was laying in bed at night but i never saw it during daylight hours. Then it ate through some brownie mixes that someone had sent me from the States! That sealed his fate!!!
Omg ewwwww! I've got the willies now! Glad you caught it. Myles sure looks happy and handsome in his outfit. What a doll. And congrats to Jonathan's little bro....I swear he was a little boy at YOUR wedding!
Remember the winter we caught 122 mice in our basement?!? Just before we discovered the reptile rescue being housed in our neighbor's barn??
Hate mice.
Post a Comment