Seeing a picture of a toilet on our blog usually means 1 of 2 things... either Henry pooped in the toilet, which would be a memory worth capturing, or it means that we had a minor disaster, which is also a memory worth capturing (for future laughs!). I'm not sure why our minor disasters can't include things like mascara or chalk... rather, they usually include things like poop.We had a house showing scheduled for 6pm. It's about 4:30, Jonathan's wasn't home yet but I thought he should be, and I get a phonecall from someone at work who needed a flight rebooked b/c her flight was cancelled. I check some flights (standing in the kitchen which is only about 10 feet from the scene of the crime), finish up the phonecall while holding Wyatt, and then wonder what Henry is doing b/c I haven't heard from him in a while. I walk around the corner and see him in the bathroom with an empty roll of TP. He apparently had unraveled the whole roll, put it in the toilet, and then proceeded to flush the toilet repeatedly. The water is to the very top of the bowl, but not overflowing. I immediately throw Wyatt into his crib, remove Henry from the bathroom, and stopped for about a 1/2 second to think. I grab the phone to call my Devon since he is just down the street. Not home. I think of calling Jonathan, of course, but our cell phones are out of order. Then I hear it... running water... I run back to the bathroom and OH NO... water is just running EVERYWHERE. The toilet is still running... I took the lid off but could not remember which gadget to yank on or unlatch or unhoook... I have memories flashing of my dad doing this a million times while growing up... I majorly panic as I see water running onto the tiles and on my feet and I call my neighbor. She sends her husband over who just had a back injury. I keep wondering why in the world he is moving so slow -- I was thinking... c'mon!!! Do you not see my toilet is overflowing??? I then rememeber he has seriously injured his back!!! He turns the water off and then does the unlatching or unhooking thing -- and I say.. Jeff, I'm so sorry.. I forgot you had hurt your back....
All was well.. I mopped up the mess - gave Henry a good talking to, and then proceeded downstairs to throw the towels into the washer. On my way down the stairs, I'm thinking of all the things that could have happened, I was thankful that's all it was. It was clean, the showing was in about 45 minutes, nothing to worry about... thank you Lord. I rounded the corner in the basement, went to open the laundry shoot door, and stepped in a puddle of water. Oh no... the water had overflowed from the ceiling and had went all over the downstairs toilet and sink. Panic again... the rug was wet, the concrete was wet, and my husband was on his way home. He knew nothing yet and he does not handle news like this well. The first question always is, "How in the world did this happen?"... as if I had just left Henry in charge. So I prepped him before he even came in the door - it didn't work. But all is well now - we got it taken care of, had the showing for the house, and life went on... I think we just made it another tier up on the parenting ladder...

7 comments:
Oh good grief! It's terrible when something like that happens--I can just see you running around frantically. :) AAHHH, the joys of motherhood! :) Glad it all worked out in the end!
P.S. I laughed out loud about you wondering why your neighbor was moving so slow--too funny!
Thanks for the laugh of the day so far! Life is definitely interesting with a toddler, right?
Becky
What a story! Oh my goodness, I was feeling so bad for you and laughing at the same time. Guess this is the type of thing I have to look forward to! You posted some great new photos -- love 'em!
I'm so glad you can laugh about these kinds of things. They are funny memories!! Wait until Wyatt gets his walking legs!!! They quickly realize that when you are on the phone, it's open season.
What CUTE boys! I love them.
Mom C
not good! but very funny. :-)
hey you'll have to start a 'don't ask, don't tell' thread. ha ha
michelle, i'm so proud of you for actually getting a picture of this!
Post a Comment